Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gearing up for #STWM (Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon)

2013 is the year. The year that I get what I have yet to achieve in my running. A successful marathon. To date I have challenged my self with many different physical challenges. I have done most race distances between 1 mile and the Marathon. Each one I have set goals and been happy with them. From a sub 6 minute mile last year to a 5km in the 20's to completing a solid 25km trail race to 23 minute PB with 3 consecutive descending 10km splits at Around The Bay. The one that has kicked the crap out of me has been the marathon.

After 2 very disappointing results at STWM in 2010 and 2011, I took 2012 off from the marathon distance and focused on ATB and Run for the Toad. Both stellar races by proper prep and solid race plans executed as planned.  Brings us to 2013. The plan was to do a half iron distance triathlon in July. A minor setback that had me off my training for 8 weeks in peek building time had me cancel those plans. The good news is it set me up perfectly for a fall marathon.

The plan will be to train with a bit more milage than I have had in previous attempts and as I get further into training I will be focusing on nutrition right up to race day. The key, as it was for ATB, will be proper pre race/race day nutrition and then executing a plan that matches my race build up. My plan for now is to build to a 3:45 time. If I am in better shape than that on Race day I will still be running 3:45 pace until I am past the point of no return. If I am still feeling good after the DVP over pass I will drop the hammer and see if I can shave an extra few minutes off.

So the goal is 5:20/km for 38kms and then see where to go from there. Given that my half marathon race pace is 5:00/km this should be doable.

Until the next update, happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment